Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Guard for One Hour

Finally, with the consensus of the committee members, I decided to make the transition from the old security company to the new security company today, instead of a further date. The residents just couldn't take the unprofessional attitudes of the previous company anymore so for the safety of the community, we all decided to go ahead with this transition sooner.

Unfortunately, due to the last minute and very urgent request made to the new security companies, they did not arrive at the time the old guards left during the destined time. So I took over the role of the guards, alone, for an hour, while waiting for the new guards to arrive.

What seemed like a peculiar sight turned out to be an overwhelming experience of support. Loving neighbours came forth to 'accompany' me during my 'duty' time, chatting with me their views of the recent security issues and also to voice out their support to me. Some of them, actually stopped by to ask if I needed any assistance or help. I truly felt supported and appreciated at that point in time, especially when one of the neighbours got down from her car and repeatedly said, "Gerry, thank you so much.. thank you for all your effort."

I could now see an action or response out of love could bring such loving reflections. In truth, I did not do it because I felt I had to do it. When I arrived at the guardhouse, expecting that the old guard would have already left and the new guards to have arrived, the old guard waited a while with me but kindly asked my permission to be dismissed. He was one of the diligent guards. But with him alone, it was just not enough. Since no one was left to play guard, I felt inspired to just stand there by the guard house pulling the boom gate up and down ensuring the vehicles who came in and out of the neighbourhood were residents, enquiring vehicles who had no stickers where they were going and etc.. you know, the usual guard-checking stuffs. My brother's girlfriend who happened to drop by for a visit called me on my mobile and said, "eh, an overpaid guard?" I laughed... and had to put down the phone quickly because it was peak hour at that time. Residents were coming home from a hard day's work! Shortly before the new guards arrived, the rest of the committee members joined me too, supporting. :)

When I told hubby of what happened by the time I got home, he was too glad to hear of the support received from the neighbours. What I learnt today is that if I was doing something out of love, nothing could put me down. There was no way at all. I remember now that my thoughts then was just to do what I could do - and what I could do then, was just to stand guard for the safety and love of my community for that one hour. And for that, I not only am appreciated by others (at least by those who stopped by), but I am also full of appreciation for myself.

Having said that, I am too grateful to the supporting members of the committee members without whom I would have had the courage to make the next move to serve this community. But most of all, I am grateful for how my journey is always supported anyway, by an unseen power that guides me all the way... :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Guard for the hour, huh??? Great to read that you had good support from your network at your neighbourhood!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot babe! Still tying up some notes at my end and I will be done..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I salute you for having the guts to hold the fort alone - what if (touchwood) some ruffians wanted to get in at that exact moment you were there alone? If only all the Presidents/Chairperson of Resident Associations are like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mun, I guess in that way, I am blessed. :) I guess in all of us, there is great potential to serve tirelessly. But when one is doing for the wrong reason, then the tireless becomes the tiresome. Having said that, I do not forsee myself holding this function for long as everything is in passing motion. In every birth, there is death, thus the nature of impermanence.

    ReplyDelete