Saturday, March 14, 2009

Insurance People

I have a need to blog this. Hubby was upset when he found out that I bought the Enhanced Road Warrior coverage earlier today. It was only RM138 (including stamp duty). I couldn't understand why he was upset and when I probed further, he told me that I spent unwisely. I disagreed.
...
Now, I had always known about the Road Warrior Coverage (it is something like the AAM coverage except that this is a product of Allianz since I am an agent). When I found out about the Enhanced Road Warrior, I thought it was a damn good deal for anybody and since I was renewing my car insurance this month, I added on this coverage. He thought that I was buying every insurance coverage on the surface of the earth because I believed in insurance and what more, was selling insurance! It was utterly strange to me because I had only bought this ONE coverage and it was only RM138! I was even more shocked when he confessed that he didn't like insurance agents to sell him any insurance! The thing that ran through my mind was, "but... I am your wife..."
...
I sat him down. We talked. I won't go into what he said about the "don't like insurance people" bit because that is his business and it is not nice for me to share here since it is not his blog; but I will share what I said to him.. and what was in my mind.
...
I reminded him that I wouldn't have embarked in this journey of insurance if it wasn't for his blessings. He remembered, just that he didn't like me to sell him coverages whenever I said, "eh, honey, you know arr.. this is damn good, we should get this.. " Then I reminded him again, "Yes, I always said that we should, because it's good.. but did we? I also always said that we should get a Peugeot 206CC, Audi TT, VW Gti, Perodua Viva, Alfa 147 and all, but did we? Ultimately, I respect your decision. And the reason why I bought this coverage was because JayD (my car) is a very old car. Not that I am expecting her to break down on us, but there is no harm getting additional coverage because you travel so much with her (he travels to and from LCCT). In case she really does break down in the middle of the night on your way home from work; you don't have AAM coverage; what are you going to do? And if the car needs to be towed, you and I both know that it is going to be very expensive right? Furthermore, it is MY car and I will pay for it."
...
He went silent for a while.. and then said, "yeah, ok.. you already bought the coverage, so there is nothing we can do about it.. the thing is, I just don't like insurance people selling me insurance!" I felt hurt at that time, and confessed the hurt. I told him that I am his wife. I explained to him that I felt threatened that as a wife who is an insurance agent and a Tupperware distributor; that I am unable to share the good things that I've learnt or come to know about with him. I asked him, if he really knew what my passion was, and what I really enjoy doing. He said, "yeah.. you like to help people."
...
I said, "yes, I do enjoy helping people. It is my passion to give service to people. I like sharing what I think is good or maybe useful for other people and get paid for it; eventhough it is just peanuts." At the instance I said that, my tears dropped. He apologised because he knew that his outburst had nothing to do with me but was just his perception of betrayal based on his past experience with his friends who approached him to sell him insurance. I was not upset with him. I cried because I suddenly felt all alone. I then took my cigarettes upstairs to reflect.
...
After 1.5 sticks of cigarettes while remembering that he was simply my reflection, I got it. I felt alone because I felt the lack of support from him and when I turned my radar inwards towards myself, I asked myself, "could it be that I am not supporting myself enough?" Strangely, the pain and hurt went away and there was peace. It was quite a quick realization. I am thankful :).
...
Let me tell you something about insurance agents.
...
First of all, whilst there are some agents out there just to make your money; there are also those who are sincere towards you. Let's be honest. You pay a few hundred bucks to renew your road tax, fire policy or etc etc, how much commission do you think your agent or "used-to-be" friend (this is only relevant if you'd dropped them off your list of friends eversince they became agents) would earn from you? Seriously, not much. I did a case just recently and only earned RM23++ and I had to drive to her house to collect her registration card, print out the certificate of insurance for her, drive back to her house to pass her all that including some phonecalls just for her case. Am I complaining? No, I am not. I did it with much joy because I was able to give service to my friend. I had breakfast with her 3 weeks later and I paid for breakfast; so who earned whose money? And I am also not saying that all my cases are like that.. there are some that I make a little more. I also have customers who pay me extra RM10-Rm25 for my execellent and efficient service! Well, so they say... But seriously, so what? The most important thing is that, I gave my best and what was required of me.
...
And yes, there are agents who are persistent; but instead of thinking, "hey, he/she just wants to make my money" or "he/she just wants my business/support"; why not change to "hey, is this a coverage I should look into and need? If something does happen, would I be glad that I bought this coverage?"
...
I can't speak for all insurance agents, but I know that if I do share a product (whether it's insurance or any other things whether I sell them or not), it's because I think it could be good and useful according to someone's needs. I can't share or sell something that is against my belief or my heart. If I could, then I might as well be selling DRUGS! If I am sincere in my approach, I believe that there are surely agents who are like me! We get paid by the company because we convey and spread the words around about the coverages; it is the company that is paying us, not you!
...
My only advise is to see past the fact that your friend (me included ;p) has decided to join the insurance industry (actually, any industry as a matter of fact), and see if the coverage that he/she is recommending to you is good or useful to you if your friend do share with you. If you had taken the time to at least listen to what he/she has to say, then at least you can determine if you need the coverage; but if, without listening, you just shut your friend by saying, "look, we are friends, please don't spoil the friendship by selling insurance to me."; then hey, are you being fair to your friend?
...
Ok, let's turn the table around now. You are the agent. If you knew something that ought to benefit your friend, would you share with him/her? or decide that you wouldn't tell your friend because you are afraid that you'd lose the friendship? In that case, are you really a friend? Of course, when a friend has indicated his/hers non-interest in the coverage after already obtaining the information, the agent ought to respect that decision and not feel rejected.
...
I am willing to be honest to admit that sometimes I am afraid to tell my friends if this or that may be useful because I am afraid that they'd think I'm just out to get their money (especially if I am doing the business); so I'd shut up! But then again, it is a silly fear. I underestimate my level of friendship with them, not trusting them that they would be willing to listen to what I have to say especially so if it may be of importance to them.
...
I guess I've always wanted to say this; but never had the guts too. I remember when I was an Estate Planner a.k.a. Life Insurance agent, I'd advise my friends to get coverage because I think it is really really important. Friends will bring their policies to me to read and analyze; purposely come to my house to seek my explanation and advise if this and that was a good coverage to buy or drop... and then when I followed up, I'd find out that they bought the coverage from their own relatives, based on my advise. Ouch! That hurt. But then again, the point is that - they are covered and protected; except that I felt that my time had been wasted, efforts not appreciated. Get what I mean? So much so that I gave up the business because I felt, I could hell convince people to get protection, but could never convince them that I am the one who ought to be paid for my services and advice.
...
Well, past is past. I am now doing general insurance because it is indeed less personal. Just that this incident with hubby came up and it got me thinking about why people are afraid of insurance agents; and why insurance agents are afraid to let their friends know about certain good coverages which may be important to share. It's just that, fear.
...
Pity.
...
And just to add on, know your intentions before giving or referring a business to your friend. Is it because you are broke and require a discount or a post-dated payment? Or is it because you really want to support your friend? If you are broke, then it's only fair to admit to your friend first to see what your friend can do to help you. If you really want to support your friend, then please try not to ask for a discount. Everyone is running a business. It is ultimately the integrity of the business owner to give you discounts. if your principle is, "if other people is going to make the money, I might as well let my friend make the money" then by all means, be sincere about it without expectations.
...
And for the business owners - your friends come to you because they believe in you and want to support you. They even bring customers to you and promote you because they believe in your gifts and sincerity. Giving of discounts is really, secondary... but always, always give your best - because that is what makes you stand out amongst the rest.
...
To my friends who are running up and coming businesses: Elly, Adrian, Terri, Jer Lin, Gladys and some others - I admire your courage to share your best. I wish you every success and joy in your journey. Blessed be.
...
*Note: - The examples cited here are based on my own experience as an insurance agent and what's real to me. However, I believe these conditions are almost similar in most businesses.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your views about insurance agents. I know it is none of my business but I think it is healthier to give up the cigarettes and this action is a big help that you can give yourself. Help yourself also la.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shuo, thanks so much for reading and commenting on my blog. You are right, I have a number of callings to give up cigarettes and am the road to it. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello GerryMoon, You're welcome! I am positive that eventually you will give up cigarettes successfully for you are a strong person. I gather that you are a strong person from reading your blog entries. Keep up blogging! *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete