Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pan-fried Sole with Lemon


I cooked up this dish yesterday for dinner. Yup, did EVERYTHING myself again.. haha.. except for the cutting of broccoli and the washing of everything else. I cut the lemon, marinated the fish, blanched the broccoli, fried the french fries and served them all, with LOVE. Even my maid laughed when I told her that I will fry the fries. Teruk right?
...
For An's benefit, here's the recipe. Rather easy peasy... the only additional ingredient I added to the dish, was LOVE... :)
...
Ingredients
Serves 2
30-45ml/2-3 tbsp plain flour (hubby told me plain flour is rice flour)
4 lemon sole fillets (I don't think I used lemon sole fillets. I just used fillets from Carrefour ;p)
45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
50g/2oz/1/4 cup butter
60ml/4 tbsp lemon juice (hard to find ready made ones, so I made them myself - ahem, I cut; but the maid squeezed the juices out)
30ml/2 tbsp bottled capers, drained and rinsed (got them at Cold Storage, Subang Parade)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh flat leaf parsley and lemon wedges, to garnish
...
  1. Season the flour (I sifted the flour) with salt and black pepper. Coat the lemon sole fillets with the seasoned flour evenly on both sides, shaking off excess. Heat the olive oil with half the butter in a large shallow saucepan or frying pan until foaming. Add two of the lemon sole fillets and fry over a medium heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden.
  2. Carefully lift out the sole fillets with a fish slice and place them on a warmed serving platter. Cover with foil and keep hot. Fry the remaining sole fillets in the same way and transfer them to the serving platter.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in lemon juice and the remaining butter. Return the pan to a high heat and stir vigorously until the butter is fully incorporated and the pan juices are sizzling and beginning to turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and stir in capers.
  4. Pour the pan juices over the sole, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and garnished with parsley. Add the lemon wedges and serve at once. (actually, I totally did not sprinkle any salt and pepper or garnished with parsley because I forgot ;p)
...
COOK'S TIP (definitely not me!)
It's important to cook the pan juices to the right colour after removing the fish. Too pale, and they will taste insipid; too dark, and they may taste bitter. Take great care not to be distracted at this point so that you can watch the colour of the juices change to a golden brown.
...
Hubby's comments: Hmm.. nice y'know... honey bunny....
...
Hehehe... so, looks like I can be quite a "chef" too.. :D

2 comments: