Thursday, April 16, 2009

20 Hours with Terry Kreitzberg

Hubby and I met Terry at Rebak Island IN the resort's swimming pool (yes, while swimming). There was this 16 year old girl who suddenly talked to me (I can't remember her name but it starts with an A) in the swimming pool and since she was talking to Terry too, I thought that he was probably her dad. He wasn't. Same as me, she just started talking to him! She was a very interesting girl - no boundaries of strangers and just followed her heart to connect with anyone who crossed her path. It was amazing.

...
We started talking (Terry and I initially before hubby joined in). We found out that he was the first pilot of FEDEX, retired and is now a sailor. He sails on his own boat, Sora all the way from the states (he's American) to Malaysia. It was amazing how it all connected because the resort that we stayed at was next to a marina with beautiful boats; and just the night before, hubby and I admiring the boats at the marina when we took a walk after dinner. And then we dreamt of owning a boat of our own someday to sail across the sea... with the dolphins, the fishes, the sunsets... Nice hor? Anyway, it was as if God hear our prayers and viola! Appeared Terry! We chatted and chatted about sailing IN the swimming pool, shivering until it was time for dinner and then we never met Terry again for the rest of the evening. I remember asking hubbt that night why hadn't we ask for Terry's contact details so that we could be in touch with him. He just shrugged his shoulders.
...
So we checked out the next day. While waiting for time and resting at the library near the lobby, there walked Terry again!! We waved at each other, and started chatting again! He invited us to his boat and introduced us to his lovely wife, Karen. It was awesome just listening to all they had to share about boats and their sailing experiences albeit the short time. So we did exchange emails and numbers before we left Rebak. It was truly memorable.
...
We kept in contact via email and soon enough, facebook. I was absolutely delighted when Terry messaged to say that he needed to get out of Phuket (he sailed to Phuket for Christmas after we left) for a visa run and had decided to come to KL! Hubby and I were so excited about him coming down that we started to plan where to bring him for food and etc (we heard he liked to eat :))!
...
So yesterday was the day - 15th April 2009. He arrived at 3:45pm and we picked him up. It was great to see him again and we could tell that he was also excited to see us. We went to Makan-Makan for tea and ordered "cham" and yam cake for him. (Terry, in case you can't remember what "cham" is coffee + tea). He absolutely loved it. After tea, we headed home. He said his hello to Thea and brought her a bubble gun toy. She absolutely loved it! And he gave me a lemongrass salt scrub and body lotion. I absolutely loved it too! (Seriously don't know when I became so vain.. hahaha) We hung out at the garden and he was patting Dobby (my rottie) away. Chatted, chatted and chatted... awesome awesome company.
...
Dinner time came. We headed for 'Under the Tree' Bak-Kut-Teh in KK. We ordered soupy bak-kut-teh, dried bak-kut-teh, vegetables and otak-otak (I told Terry the direct translation was brain-brain... hahaha). Hubby and Terry bought beer to accompany dinner from across the road before the dishes came. Oh yes, forgot to mention - I invited my youngest brother, Inro to join us. I don't know why, I just wanted to introduce my brother to Terry. So, Inro and Prissy came along :). Needless to say, Terry totally enjoyed the dishes. He kept on saying, "good choice, guys! good choice!". I was glad.
...
After dinner, we went home. The boys (hubby, Terry and Inro) continued with drinks while I walked up and down trying to fiddle a few things in between hanging out with them. I think I finally settled down with them a little later. It felt so comfortable just talking to Terry and I dare say that on behalf of hubby, Inro and myself (Prissy went home). We talked about sailing, to flying, to airlines, to airplane crashes, father-daughter relationships (he has 2 daughters), money, health supplements, today's quality of food, asian food, western food, sheep, lamb, goat/kit (just to differentiate what is lamb and mutton :{), driving skills and etc... it was a night full of non-stop sharing. If it was not because hubby needed to sleep, I think we could have gone on and on and on...
...
Morning came (today - 16th April 2009). We left the house for Sri Mayuri for breakfast. Since we were talking about mutton curry last night, we ordered roti telur, mutton curry and neslo (Terry, this means Nescafe + Milo) for him. It was really good to see him enjoying the food. I don't know about hubby, but I enjoyed seeing him wallop the food! Unfortunately, we had to head towards the airport because his flight was at 12:45pm. We told him, the next time he comes down, he MUST stay for a few days in order for us to bring him around to other food heaven. There is so much more food to explore in Malaysia! I hope he was not joking when he said yes. Hahaha..
...
The non-stop talking did not stop until we arrived at LCCT. There was a kind of strange feeling to see him go - as if wishing that he'd stay longer accompanying the understanding that he needed to go back to Phuket to see his boat gets fixed (Sora is docked for repairs - it's a routine thing which takes a few months). During the journey to the airport, he told me, "Gerry, please write me an email about what happened yesterday and today so that I can reinforce it in my memory." I told him not to worry because I had every intention to blog about this anyway. I remember him saying this again and again, "Thank you guys, this is very special.".
...
Terry, we want to tell you that it is very special to us too the 20 hours you spent with us. We appreciate and value your presence in our country, humble home, and especially in our lives. It is somewhat strange how we connected just like that. We look forward to many many beautiful moments and experiences with you. 20 hours is DEFINITELY not enough :).

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Gerry, you didn't leave out a thing, except maybe the fact that me and Dobie are tight now :). Once again, thanks for a very very special time and for taking the time to document it all so my feeble brain could absorb all the delectable delicacies that you introduced to me.

    I will see you again soon. Of that I am sure.

    Love, Terry

    ReplyDelete