Friday, April 24, 2009

The Camera Search

So the news was out - it's missing. Don't know when, don't know how but dad said that he would compensate, although it has not been proven that his action was the actual cause of my losing my beloved camera.
...
I went on a search since last night when he said that I had 24 hours to decide what I wanted. I didn't really know what he meant by that actually - whether I wanted compensation or not; and if I did, whether it to be in cash or a brand new camera. But I went on a search anyway because since the camera is missing, I had to find myself a new camera anyway.
...
I was thinking more of Canon because Aunt Mandy works there and could get staff price for me. I was exposed to the IXUSes - 85IS (my previous model), 90IS and 100IS. The 100IS was beautiful and fully automatic. And then I remembered Gladys mentioned about Panasonic Lumix. Didn't really like it. Then the man at the shop had to introduce me to Ricoh R7 & R8 because I mentioned that I wanted to play with the camera. You see, I have come to this stage when I want more than just a whole picture, I would like to capture the beingness of the object, the essence of the picture. Don't know why. So I was toying around with the Ricoh R7 & R8 and obviously found the R8 a better one to play with. It was really value for money too - except that the outcome of the picture; or rather the colours of the picture are not as compact or bright as Canon's. I left the shop more confused than ever. Only 2 brands of cameras and I am already going bonkers - I wondered how the professionals handle these options!
...
So I called Gladys. Chatted with her and An and at the same time, did my own research. Gladys was right, I am still a beginner and it would be quite an uphill task to try to explore an SLR. She suggested the semi pro models and Tuck Loon sms back and said the same. So, semi pro it is! An mentioned that this is also called Prosumer? So I started exploring Canon PowerShot models. The SX200 IS caught my eye; but Gladys said that the SX110 IS was good enough for me and was within my budget (approximately RM949 since the market value of my old camera is about there). The SX110 is RM1,228 while the SX200 is RM1,680. Quite a diff huh? And then An suggested the G10. I went bonkers - AGAIN!!! The G10 cost RM2,068! Good specs but Gladys said that it would be too bulky for me and one of the things that turned me off was that it only had 5x optical zoom where else the SX110 had 10x zoom. The SX200 was even better - 12x zoom! However, the SX200 apparently does not produce as beautiful outcome as SX110 (despite the fact that SX200 is a later verson than SX110!). I don't know how this is possible since everything else in SX200 is better than SX110 but I guess I have to trust An since she is the expert! So she did a round of checks for me on SX110 and the reviews were good - ONLY that... it operates on AA batteries (which Gladys warned me about earlier too). Actually I forgot about the AA batteries which Gladys mentioned and as I got all hyped up about the SX110 IS, it was like a slap in the face again that it operates on AA batteries. GOSH! CAN'T I FIND ANYTHING PERFECT?!?!?!?!?
...
So the 24 hour dateline was over. And I thought, hmm.. nevermind, I guess at least it gives me time to decide what I really really want and to research some more on other brands of camera since Canon was limiting (Thanks An for highlighting to me!). And just as I was looking through the specifications of the various Canon cameras (AGAIN!), hubby came home. I sat him down and updated him of my confusion. He laughed and agreed that we should just go ahead with the SX110 despite that it operates on AA batteries because it could be a blessing! "Eh, we can get batteries anywhere at any time you know! Besides, the pros all use AA batteries one!!" he said. That was enough to help me make up my mind. I knew what I wanted already.

The Chosen One - Canon SX110 IS



And coincidently, my dad was still texting me about the camera! So I took the opportunity to tell him that I wanted the Canon SX110 IS which cost RM1,228. He replied, "So cheap to me lah, sup sup shoi and yet you take so long to make up your mind. I just feel like scolding you but not today because not many thing can go into your brain which is still choked and clogged with a lot of rubbish." Damn! I should have asked for a more expensive camera! Hahaha.. Well, he's right; my mind was choked and clogged.. not so much with rubbish as what he sees (anything that is not money making is rubbish to his mind); more like cameras, cameras and cameras.. a new found interest in my life. :)

So SX110 IS... Until you are in my hands... I'll be holding you in my dreams... Good night...

6 comments:

  1. Aaaahhh...the confusion of buying a camera. I went through that too but because I'm a Canon fan...I just made sure I got the Canon that suited my needs. Glad you've made up your mind...

    Happy taking pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought, don't consider super zoom cameras unless you're really in need of it. So it's better to zoom with your legs than to have a super 10-15x zoom.

    I would have suggested Fujifilm F200 EXR compact. Of course, you can't go wrong with Canon when it comes to compacts.

    Have fun and expecting more pics from you soon, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alina: It is not an easy choice.. after I blogged this, I was still comtemplating a G10 or a SX1!!!!!

    Allen: Why wouldn't we need super zoom cameras? I thought that the bigger the zoom, the better so that we could take objects that needn't require us to move near. I tried to take a picture of a dragonfly once but it flew away when I got near it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The longer the zoom the more complex the design the lens should be. However, it's not the case for compact cameras' superzoom lenses. Even there are compromises when it comes to SLR's superzoom lenses. Convenience vs Quality; Longer zoom position requires faster shutter speed (ie, at 200mm position, the shutter speed 1/200th of a second but at 70mm position, the shutter speed can be 1/60th at a given ISO range say ISO200).

    You should consider G10 but it's advance amateur/semi-pro compact that has manual features! Quality of pics is sharp as, at the hands of a pro who reviewed the camera. I'd love to have one.....
    http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better dont confuse the already confused. Like I said, whichever it is, it is still better than you missing camera! Lols

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allen: Thanks for the tip!!

    Gladys: You are right! :D

    ReplyDelete