Sunday, June 14, 2009

Beef Pot Roast with Potatoes & Dill

The angel said, "cook the whole day, but half an hour all eat finish already." That stopped me a while in the midst of preparing the roast. How true. But since I have already started preparing for the dish since 2:30pm, I was not going to give up.
...
The recipe specifically said ovenproof casserole and 1 rolled brisket joint, weighing 3 lb 8 oz/1.6kg. I did not want to spend money on a casserole dish which was similar to the picture in the recipe book; so I used my corningware. And I could not find brisket joint even in cold storage; so I made do with rump steak.
...
The turn out...








Seriously, quite delicious la.. hehehe.. even Inro said it was delicious.

Except that he commented that if a person's preference was to have their beef/steak rare, or medium rare, then it wouldn't have fit the criteria. I pondered deeply on his comment and decided that it could be the type of beef that I've used to try out this recipe (instead of brisket joint). The beef was nice, not hard, but somehow not that tender as well. Hubby suggested to reduce the cooking time, i.e. from 3 hours of roasting (YES!!! 3 HOURS OF BLOODY ROASTING and that does not include the preparation time, mind you!!!) to 2 hours. I kept quiet...

Seriously, whatever gave them the idea that I was going to do this whole thing again!! Started at 2:30pm, ended at 6pm and that was without the salad ok! Ya, I know - salad is easy but SO???

But then again, I might. Although the angel was right that it does take the whole day and only half hour to whallop the whole thing into the stomach, I guess seeing hubby and bro's faces and non-stop diggin' in made me pleased. Nevertheless, even if they were not pleased, it wouldn't have mattered. I cooked because I wanted to, not because I had to and I did it to satisfy myself. So was I satisfied? Hmm... honestly and truthfully, yes-lah. Can't deny the excitement when I witnessed how tasty it looked and turned out to be. Excellento!!

So this was the set up before the dinner. Took a picture for it for fun.



Prissy doesn't take beef anymore. So since I was also roasting chicken drumsticks for dad, I took the liberty to roast 2 chicken thighs for her dinner. Inro said the chicken tastes better. Of course lah! After 3-4 tries, still cannot make it then I should shelf the recipe already leh! haha.. but to be honest, the recipe is a combination of my own mixture and Heinz Honey Garlic sauce. *winks*

So here I am. The last day of the week (or is it the first day of the week?). School starts tomorrow and I am getting kinda excited for the experience of routine setting in once more. Happy schooling, kiddos! And have a happy week, adultoes (if there is ever such a word! hah!)

4 comments:

  1. Well done!!! Looks like having more confidence in spending more time in the kitchen and your food is looking more & more yummy!!! Kudos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alina! Am looking forward to try out the Apple Ala Mode whatever recipe of yours soon! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiyo...been busy like a headless chicken. After this week, at least I can breathe better and cook more....hahahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure can one... tell yourself it is now time to do something that you LURVE!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete