Friday, January 9, 2009

Fried Preserved Zha Choy With Pork Belly


Congratulations to me. :)
...
I took the first step in cooking since the guardian angel (Sukanah a.k.a. the maid known in earthly terms) came on board. ;p
...
Since hubby's official transfer back to KL on 5 January, I shared with him that we should actually start cooking some pork in the house since there is now an additional person in the house (which is him). We don't usually cook pork because when hubby was working in JB, there is only 2 adults and 1 kid; so we cook whatever we could finish (angel is muslim). The only pork that we might have consumed at home was when my dear MIL cooked a sumptious meal and there are leftovers; or when she came over to stay. Other times when hubby is actually home on his off days, we would be eating out.
...
Terri and Gladys suggested that I should really start working on my cooking resolution. A bit of resistent there... hmm.... I just think I am not gifted in this area.. and both of them said simultaneously, "try lah.. otherwise you'll never know.." hmm.. ok... wait first...
...
That was on Tuesday night.
...
On Wednesday morning, I surprised myself by walking to the kitchen shelf to pick up some recipe books and thought to myself; if I should cook, I'd really like to cook pork since Sukanah doesn't cook pork. Not that she doesn't know how to; and she cooks really well, mind you... Just that I thought I should give it a go! And there I went... grocery shopping and planning for my cooking adventure which was TODAY!!!
...
Coming back to the present. When I checked back on the recipe, I realised that I didn't get everything in order which led me out to the mini market again this afternoon. Coincidently (or is it Divine order?), Sukanah said that she had a list that she wanted me to buy as well.. and trust me, I didn't know anything that was written on that list... such as candlenuts, ginger root, turmeric, tamarind and etc... I mean, I knew that they were some spices and nuts stuffs, but I didn't know what they really looked like. Thank God she translated them to malay which made it easier for me to ask the ladies at the mini market.
...
So I got everything. And the best part was, I learnt what was ginger root (lengkuas), candlenuts (buah keras), turmeric (kunyit), tamarind (assam jawa) and etc.. Cool! Not bad for my first day huh! When I came back, I went to Sukanah to thank her for introducing me to what seemingly were "alien language" to me before. :) Now I know. :) So proud of myself!!! *pat on the shoulder*
...
So I started cooking (Sukanah helped prepared the slicing and the cutting). And I am so proud of myself of the result that I took a picture of it.. hehehe.. it didn't look like it was not edible!!! HOORAY!!!!!! hahahhaa.... and of course, the next test is.... is it delicious? and will all of us get a tummyache after that... :{
...
Call or text me, and I will tell you ok? *winks*

4 comments:

  1. Not bad at all.. brano bravo!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh it looks nice.. maybe next time post up the recipe so i can try it out myself..hehe.. im not a good cook myself... but its quite fun experimenting... at least we have someone to clean up after the mess we make hahaha..( lucky for me, i make a big mess in the kitchen hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.foodsubs.com/ this is one of the best website... since im starting to cook, most of the names for the local herbs i dont know in english or malay name.. here it explains and even comes with photos...

    ReplyDelete