Monday, October 12, 2009

Canon Vs Nikon

Surprisingly, reading the reviews on Canon vs Nikon non judgmentally allowed me to see that pictures taken with a Nikon is indeed more vivid and outstanding. I've always been a Canon fan. I used to own a Nikon film camera and they take splendid pictures with an ISO 400 film. But eversince don't know when, we just switched to Canon and it was Canon all the way.

This morning, I had breakfast with hubby and a dear friend, Phua who started sharing about his new camera, the Nikon D90, which is apparently comparable to the Canon 500D. That conversation set doubts to my little head to the output generated by Nikon and triggered a memory of one of our new found friend, Anand who shared that Nikon's output is indeed better. After researching and reading reviews on both the camera brands, I now understood why most professionals carry a Nikon rather than a Canon. Even my dear friend in Australia, Allan carries a Nikon.

Bee kept asking me, "Cheh, are you going to make money out of it? If not, your G10 is sufficient... if not, a 500D is good enough for you.. in fact, after you have set your hands on a 500D, there is no turning back because you will just go on and on to get so many lens to fulfil your thirst... " What wisdom relating to desire and greed.. hehehe..

After much research, I decided that 500D was not good enough for me because I craved for the 50D which would give me speed. Downside is that it doesn't give me as much ISO as the 500D and is slightly heavier than the 500D. I am talking about Canon here... I haven't done much research on Nikon cameras despite the results of output. Phua is trying hard to lure me into getting a Nikon on the stands that we could share our lenses.. hahaha.. but I have too many Canons on my side here too.. gosh, what amount of choices I have!!

Another old friend, Angeline (from Ipoh) asked if I was considering a new camera. I guess she must be keeping up with me on my new thirst for cameras... Thanks Angeline!! But the truth is, not really.. although I would love to own a DSLR. Don't know why, after toying around with dad's 500D, the G10 just doesn't interest me much although the quality of pictures are still as amazing as ever!

So, I am just toying around with the researches and reviews for the fun of it. No big plans.. but I wouldn't mind being surprised by a unit one day. :)

5 comments:

  1. Just asking, what kind of speed and to what extend of sensitivity that would meet your needs or rather, in which genre are you expertising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, expertising is such a *ahem* strong word... actually, I like speed so to capture events, ISO because I don't really fancy taking pictures with flashes; but mainly I noticed that I prefer to take abstract pictures, you know.. like the 'beingness' of an object.. Don't know how to explain it.. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would you wanna collaborate speed in capturing events? Is your preference higher shutter speed? Well, increasing sensitivity would add grain and noise to the images, what about aperture settings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it also depends on peer support ie friends like Phua.

    I'd say you can go wrong with either but I'm a nikon user. it's good to have both cameras in your hands and have a good feel of the buttons and grip.

    Nikon doesn't place its camera products in direct competition with Canon, usually in between Canon's (that's my opinion). ie D200/D300 is in between 40D/50D and 5D (before 7D's announcement). It's product differentiation for survival since Canon is a much much bigger company than Nikon.

    I'd say I prefer Nikon's colour tone which is warmer. However, it's personal preference as I have known some who prefer the cooler tones of Canon and dislike the saturated colour of Nikon.

    These days most Canon and Nikon DSLR are pretty good with noise management. It may be high when looking at computer screen but it looks better when printed out. Avoid pixel-peeping as I've printed out many in enlarged sizes.

    Anyway, G10 is pretty good still...would love to have one! LOL

    ReplyDelete