Monday, January 4, 2010

First Day at School

Today is my first experience as a mom taking Thea to an official school. We woke up with excitement; pretty early at 7am; got ready and headed to school. Thea only drank milk. My perfect idea of her having breakfast was not fulfilled. So I got guardian angel to pack some biscuits for her into her bag.


Hubby having a cuppa. Thea waiting for hubby to finish his cuppa.



Thea staring out the window anxiously and excitedly during our drive to school.

When we arrived at school, we waited for a while. We were informed that the teacher was only coming in at about 9am for a briefing for the parents. The briefing was, well, a briefing.. the do's and dont's, what parents could do to help the children and the teachers for a smooth sailing educating term and etc etc.

Thea seemed settled the minute we arrived at school, even when she was brought to class. I'd say she was pretty independant. No crying, no fussing, no nothing.. just excitement. Hubby was so proud of her and I, on the other hand, played the role of a worrisome mommi really, really well. Worried not about how she'd interact with the teachers or whatsoever (I trust her in that area), but if she'd go to the toilet, or tell her new teachers when she needed to go to the toilet (she has a tendency of holding when she could play); if she'd eat (it's compulsory to eat in school - tea & lunch time); if she was used to the food (she's really picky with food); if she'd drink water (she sometimes forget when she gets to play); if she'd be too cold in class (class is air-conditioned and I didn't pack a sweater for her)... sighs.. all worries, worries, worries.. Dear hubby kept reassuring me that she'd be fine and that I worry too much.. but, but.. how could I not worry? She's my baby!!

Anyway, we were asked to leave by the teachers. So we took a drive to HaiSiang for breakfast, an excuse to catch up with Adrian, Elly & baby Abi. Albeit time was short (we had to leave at 11:30am to pick up Thea from school), it was great seeing them nonetheless. Baby Abi was so cute! And she was walk now!! So proud of her.. :)

We arrived at the school once again at about 12:15pm. Was pleased to see that Thea was enjoying herself during playtime outdoors. We could tell she very much wanted to play in the uncovered area of the outdoors (under the sun) but was not allowed to because she didn't have her sun hat, something which I forgot to buy during our acquisition of her school stuffs last week and was only informed today that it was necessary for those who wanted to play in the uncovered outdoor area. So I bought it today! Tomorrow she'd be able to play in the uncovered area! :D

School ended on time. The kids were lined up to meet their parents at the gate accompanied by the teachers. Nice. :) Since lunch is provided then I need not worry about her lunch, right? Especially since they were serving pasta today? WRONG!! She came back asking for home-cooked pasta!! Guardian angel asked me, "Didn't she have lunch in school today?" I blinked and asked Thea, "hey, you didn't eat in school?" Thea nodded her head and said, "Yes". I probed further, "Did you eat a little bit or a lot, a lot?" She kept quiet. Shucks!! The worrisome bug hit me again!! ARGH!!! I frantically tried calling the school to enquire with the teacher. No one answered. Shucks... lunch time... ARGHHHHHHHHH... and I went on and on... nagging little Thea, only to have her ignoring me and hubby reminding me again, and again, "Don't worry la.. she will eat one.. she just needs time to adjust... " But, but.. how will I know? how will I know? And to make things worst, tomorrow they'd be serving fish for lunch!! Just only fish!! Oh gosh, will she eat at all?!?!?!?

Hmm.. I know, I know.. I worry too much!! Isn't that what I was at all this time? still am? Argh... God help me!!!

3 comments:

  1. Moon and all her never-endig list of worries.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. very funnily, I had a girlfriend who said the same and expressed that she was glad that I was fussy like that.. made me normal, she said.. hehehe.. cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Thea!

    Gerry!!! Stop fretting! Thea will be fine.... :p

    ReplyDelete