Wednesday, January 20, 2010

To satisfy one and sacrifice all; or to satisfy all and sacrifice one.

Remember my unhappy neighbour?

Today I had another meeting with the committee members and we discussed alot about this issue. Most just kept quiet and observed while Terence and I debated (healthily and diplomatically, of course!). His opinion was that 'if we were to please one, we'd sacrifice the others'. My view point was, 'let's look at his point of view to see if we could do anything to address this issue'.

But a huge burden was released off all our shoulders when we suddenly remembered that it is not within our power or jurisdiction to do anything; but for the residents to conclude in an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) or the upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM). Thank God we've got Terence on board!! He's a lawyer. :)

My unhappy neighbour (type-A owner) stressed on fairness, and coming from his point of view, I do see his stand; on the committee's and other residents' view point (from type-B and type-C), it seemed that the way to go about it was through a majority's vote. Hubby shared his views with me that the decision to be imposed by the committee must be of unanimous. Terence explained that it was impossible. Now, I begin to understand why it is hard to run a country. No persons would ever be satisfied or pleased! Someone from somewhere would surely oppose to something because of different ideas!!!

Look at our country for instance. Most are unhappy that the Malays (who are majority) get most benefits and there is no equality. If I am not mistaken, there is some kind of ratio for entrance to a public uni, governemnt work place and even scholarships. Honestly, I am ignorant to all these (information came from friends' sharings) because I don't see how I am affected by all these at all. I say this whatever that they receive is their entitlement and likewise. We could sit around and whine about it, or appreciate that we have the opportunity to experience our own adventure! While I admit to some experience of being outcast when I was working in a malay-dominated company, but it was not because I was Chinese - but of some other reasons! So I had never really experience racism, being a minority or any of those sorts. I guess I never felt short of what I was being told that I am being deprived of. I am curious how some people think that they are the minorities and hence have to fight for their voices to be heard; and I am equally shocked by how some people think that as long as the majorities are fulfilled, some small sacrifices will have to be made.

Can there be no other way?

Gosh, I sound like I am contradicting myself. First I am not affected, but then I am questioning! :-S

Perhaps I come from a mentality of acceptance. I am not at war per se about this majority-minority stuffs really. I am more concern of what comes through for me through individuals affected by it. Do I feel injustice? No. Do I feel like you-deserve-it? No. But I do get to get some sort of understanding from where they come from - especially the minority. Could it be some sort of being-victimised mentality? And when we turn the tables aroung, could it be some sort of superior-mentality?

All of us at the committee are just volunteers. It is true that it is an avenue for me as an individual to grow. And during the discussion, I came to realise that all of us at the committee are somehow just facilitators and executors. Facilitators in the sense that we organise and probe probable options to be voted for/against for decisions to be made, and then to be executed - by us. So we don't really play any part in being victim ourselves or victimising anyone. Whether the decision is unanimous or based on majority votes, we are not there to judge or to even conclude that. But as facilitators, we do have to step in to mediate at some point, to allow both parties to see things from each other's points of views - that is, if they are open to it.

I salute those that have voluntarily taken up this position to serve their very own community without any fringe benefits whatsoever (including myself). When I ask myself "what's in it for me?", I answer myself "nothing much la.. just contributing my best to the community, especially with the wonderful support of the committee and community." I've received pretty wonderful response and comments so far (not about me but directed towards the committee as a whole) and we feel appreciated. And then I asked myself again "what if we were not appreciated?", the answer says "it's ok, because we are not doing it to be appreciated. we are doing it because we want to. it's just simply a way for us to serve our neighbourhood, our community, our children and ourselves!".

I told the committee the other day that we ought to take this up for at least two years, if we are chosen again to be part of the team. Sincere members agreed; and all of them are sincere.

Love. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I believe this topic of unhappy neighbour (type A - minority) that you have touched on is related to the phrase Tyranny of the majority. I quote from wiki:

    "The phrase tyranny of the majority, used in discussing systems of democracy and majority rule, is a criticism of the scenario in which decisions made by a majority under that system would place that majority's interests so far above a dissenting individual's interest that the individual would be actively oppressed."

    Does the unhappy neighbour feel oppressed by the decisions of type B and type C residents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing mun.. strangely, I didn't see it that way. I saw a possibility in tackling the issue from another angle, to balance it out if possible.

    but after your comments on this, it is giving me additional thoughts! haha!!

    ReplyDelete