Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Trip to Janda Baik

Hubby : "eh, how to go there ar?"
Phua : "when you reach selesa hills junction, you will see a signboard which I made, turn right there."
Hubby : "wah.. you made a signboard ar? how big is your signboard?"
Phua : "A4 size."
Hubby : "har??? what the..."

And that was the conversation between hubby and our beloved friend cum contractor, Phua. :)


CH Phua & Stephanie

Today is one of the three wedding receptions which he held for his union with his long-time girlfriend, Stephanie. The wedding venue was in Janda Baik. All of us didn't know where it was, except that I have heard that name before (Clove&Clive conduct most of their retreats there). Bee, Prissy, hubby and I went in one car. It was about a half hour drive to the final toll as we searched for the so-called A4 size signboard which Phua had considerately put along the side of the road to lead his guests up to Tanah Rimba.

Yup, the signboard was really only A4 in size alright! It was sooooo tiny compared to the other bigger signboards which were already there for years, especially the original Tanah Rimba signboard which got all of us in the car laughing! His words at the signboard was: -

TANAHRIMBA
to Phua & Stephanie's Wedding

Lols! We could not even tell the wordings below TANAHRIMBA because it looked so small!! But it was a good laugh!! Bee joked that I should have brought my camera to take a picture of it. I agreed... but too bad (or actually good for him!!), I didn't bring my camera because I was anticipating the use of Phua's Nikon D90 to take pictures of his own event. Anyway, we agreed that we would take a picture of the signboard on the way down the hill but dropped that idea on our way down the hill after dinner as we somehow ended up coming out from the opposide side of the road, which had no signboard. Too much trouble to turn back to the other side of the road just to take a A4 size signboard picture! Lols!

We were all very happy and excited to have finally arrived at the Tanah Rimba. The atmosphere was very cozy and relaxed. Nobody was really dressed formally at all! He already warned us that dress code was to be casual. Understanding him, we knew that he just wants us to be comfortable in our own skin. :) He is always considerate when it comes to other people.

It was indeed the sweetest wedding. He was the most relaxed groom I've ever witnessed. There was no sense of formality and it was just easy and relaxed. The environment, laughters and excitement of the whole event was just splendid. Even the band was awesomely great! I loved them! I even got their namecard! He proudly told us that he engaged them for a very reasonable price. It was really abundance in a way. Food was catered from this restaurant based in Sekinchan. Honestly, I don't know what he was thinking getting a restaurant all the way from Sekinchan to travel all the way up to Janda Baik for his wedding event, but the restaurant agreed (obviously!!) and I guess it was all worth it. Food was delicious!!

I was very very busy having fun with Phua's Nikon D90. At first, I was very cautious about using the camera because I had never used a Nikon DSLR before and was not sure if I'd be used to it. I LOVED IT!!! I was snapping away! Stephanie was teasing me that I was like a pro.. lols! Wait till she sees the pictures!! Maybe she'd be shock that it might not be up to mark! Anyhow, I fell in love with Nikon. After taking a series of pictures here and there, I would go back to the table next to hubby to show off how *ahem* talented and creative I was.. lols! Of course he had to agree with me, right!?! Lols..

In moments when I would stop eating or snapping way, I'd silently observe the surrounding of where I was. I felt intense joy and love. The music was, like I said, splendid and sweet. Co-joining the melodies, I realised that the chattering, the laughters, the silence of a few all blended beautifully. The view was also... how do I put it... serene... It was such a sweet moment when my heart filled with appreciation with where I was and what was there for me at the moment. Appreciation of being present in this event, this place; appreciation for the delicious food to fill my tummy; appreciation for the beauty, the green scent that surrounds; appreciation for having sown such wonderful friendship with Phua.

Hubby and I knew Phua in September 2006, when we just newly purchased our current home. He was to be our contractor, not by choice but obligation to another friend who was his partner. Our initial impression of him was judgemental because he looked rugged and wore an earring in one of his ear. He also spoke like a gangster, as if ready to pick a fight or show a face if he disagreed with something. But as renovation work progressed and we hung out together more and more, time proved that our earlier perception of him was utterly incorrect. More like, he was so contrarary to what we initially thought he was! He was the sweetest, compassionate, helpful, kind, funny & responsible contractor, friend and person. He is always, always so ever-willing to help! Well, at least that is relevant to hubby and I and we are very grateful for his friendship with us. Today, he is also a close friend to both my brothers, and their friends; and a golfing buddy of hubby, my brothers, and their friends too. Together and through him, hubby has also been blessed with more wonderful friends into our lives.

Phua, we are grateful to have you as our trusted friend in our journey, and we want you tell you how very proud and appreciative we are that you are part of our lives and vice versa. Wishing you & Stephanie a lifetime of love, happiness, blessed moments and more beautiful friends to surround you too!!! :)

Love.

2 comments:

  1. D90, eh...? ;)
    still able to switch...! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, more rightfully put, I still have an option to get either! I have none at the moment except the G10. ;p

    ReplyDelete