Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tired, but Joyfully Serving... :)

I have been busy. Nevermind about the late nights during CNY and the not-yet-resume-to-full-recovery state, I was busily coordinating and preparing for my school's alumni's event. Being the secretary, there were lots to do. I wouldn't say that stuffs to do were difficult, but there were somewhat tedious due to the volume and lack of man power. On top of that, I was also caught up with my residents' committee's stuffs - meeting, plannig, drafting... bah! neverending... so that led to hubby being upset - because I haven't been sleeping regular hours! ;p

Angel asked me that other day, "you get RM1000 for doing this work ar?" she meant the work for the alumni. I replied no.

Hubby asked me, "seriously, what do you get out of it? you do so much - residents committee la, alumni la, C&C la.. what do you get out of it?" I guess when he asked that question, he was referring to financial rewards or potential opportunities for financial rewards.

For a while, I pondered. I did not answer him because I myself couldn't answer myself why I was doing it. I took up tasks because it was presented to me at that point in time and while I could have say no, I didn't want to say no because I was inspired to take up the tasks! Well, I can see one of my friend's face in my mind now saying this to me, "pat!!" (translation: busybody!) lols!

Secretly, I just think that hubby misses me and don't like to see me so busy. Hmm, don't understand him - he just prefers me to lie around, watch tv, read book or sleep.. :-s

Anyway, I pushed aside that question for a while since I had too much to do. That was yesterday. Just when I thought all else had been completed, my dumb-ass laptop crashed on me!! And one of the files which I needed urgently for my alumni event was in there!! Grrrrr!!! I desperately called our president, Khai and he came over swiftly at 1am this morning. Unfortunately, nothing much could be done to 'rescue' my laptop :( I had 2 alternatives. No. 1 - get a casing for the internal hard disk to transfer the data out prior reformatting. No. 2 - retype everything - and mind you, there were 530 addresses in that file and I took the whole of Wednesday doing that! hrmf! 

Decided to go with alternative 1. More practical, only need to wait for time and spend some money. So what could have been completed today had to be delayed to Sunday because of this file. Thank God the deadline is on Monday! Phew!!

Notwithstanding, some of us still met at school this morning to proceed with the tedious volumized work. Bee Lian and hubby was there to help out. As I was sorting and compiling the documents (obviously a no-brainer thing), I suddenly felt a sense of joy in me! I lit up!! :D

I finally had my answer to what's it in for me - being apart of my old school's alumni, my neighbourhood committee, C&C - it was the joy of serving... :) it was a selfless, yet selfish act - which resulted in joyfulnesses in my being! :)

I appreciate the available assistance and support in how I choose to serve. It's great to experience teamwork and laughters altogether :D. A thought crossed my mind earlier in the day that although it doesn't seem to attain any obvious objective (and I am talking about the purpose of the alumni here) but we'd never know how our effort to get old friends together would impact anyone. The impact may not be obvious amongst many, but surely somehow, someone's life may or will turn towards a brighter path because of the get-together! These kind of results; or in this case, I'd call them rewards; are IMMEASUREABLE!! Don't you think? ;)

I am thankful to be part of such journey!! :)

Namaste.

3 comments:

  1. Hey i wish i could have a serving heart like yours. Many a times i fail because i do not take that extra mile to touch someone's heart..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misread the not sleeping regular hours part. I accidentally replace the two words "regular hours" with the words "with him". Must go and have my eyes checked. :S

    It is very self satisfying to serve without expecting any rewards, I understand that. I also kind of understand where your spouse is coming from. I guess he must be feeling kind of leftout from your active life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sdovelly, hmm.. you might have misunderstood me. I don't think I take that extra mile to touch someone's heart - I do it to touch my own heart, to satisfy myself. :)

    Hi Mun, good news now is that the bulk of the tedius work is all over!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete