Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Witch of Portobello -- Paulo Coelho

I have finally finished reading this book - one of the books I had taken forever to finish! ;p

The coincidental part about this title (this particular book, that is) is that I bought this book for Terri for her birthday last year (I think), and immediately on the following day, I received the same title from BB and LF on the last session of the Mindfulness, A Starting Point course held at Clove&Clive.

What awed me even more later, was that I found out through Gladys' blog that she was reading the same title too! Coincidence? By the way, this was last year too. ;p

The beginning of the book was really interesting for me. Even Gladys mentioned to me that she thought I'd find this book interesting! Somehow, coming to the middle parts of the book, my interest withered away, don't know why.. which prompted me to move on to other books first, or more real, to move further along my own spiritual journey -- and finally, with much more information, knowledge and experiences that I've acquired, I found more relevance when I picked up the book again - only to find myself immersed in the book once again.

There are too many excerpts which I had mentally captured where I had initial intentions to share in entries but changed my mind afterwards. Due to sheer laziness.. lols! But there are 2 paragraphs extracted from the story which I would like to pen here, to remind myself of what we perceive as most important,

"Love is not a habit, a commitment, or  a debt. It isn't what romantic songs tell us it is - love simply is. That is the testament of Athena or Sherine or Hagia Sofia - love is. No definitions. Love and don't ask too many questions. Just Love."

"That was the only time I dared to ask her: 'Why do you love me?'
 She replied, 'I don't know and I don't care.'
 Now, as I put the finishing touches to these pages, I believe I may have found the answer in her last conversation with the journalist. Love simply is."

*excerpts from The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho*

I remember Hari asking me this once, "Why do you read?"
He knew clearly that I was reading out of a 'kiasu' (scared to lose) attitude to acquire more knowledge, thinking that the more information, knowledge I acquired (which in truth, I was actually only reading again, and again, materials with the same kind of essence all these while), I'd be able to progress further in my journey.

And he continued, "Why not read because you enjoy reading?"

Yes, I do enjoy reading.. but when I imposed conditions on 'what I have to get out of it', I so subconsciously burden myself, which robbed me the joy of reading.

You see, as long as I have not grown, what I read from book-to-book would display the same kind of messages to me! My perception could not be otherwise! lols!

When I finally released my expectations and just read whenever I felt like it, flowing with the flow; I not only enjoy reading whatever that was in front of me, I could relate the message in which the dear authors try to convey. :)

The Witch of Portobello is a good read, only when we are ready to receive what dear Paulo is trying to convey. :) Kudos, Paulo!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually not too bad! Give it a go! If you find it a little bored, then put it down and pick it up again and read it again some other time.. a good book is always patient with its readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will give it a go if I can get my hands on it. I also heard that the book "11 minutes" by the same author is not too bad too. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete