Thursday, March 18, 2010

What Have I Done?!?!?!

Alina and I had been friends for ages.. since secondary school days. She was the fierce one in school, and I was the softie. Always, she had to stand up for me while I hid behind the doors to watch her tell people off for bullying me.. lols.. ya, poor me! Lols!

We knew each other when we were 15. She was transferred to my class because she was so much smarter than the rest of the students in her previous class. I think we didn't speak much at first, and I think we started talking more after she blurted, "who is that singing?" while still in the toilet cubicle when she hear my sweet voice.. (cheh... perasan-nya.. just kidding!! ;p). You see, we were in the toilet at the same time during tea/lunch break, but I didn't know that she was in the cubicle when I started singing. So you can imagine how startled I was despite having other friends around when she suddenly asked that question! (at that time, it was a trend for girls to go to the toilets together). From then on, we started talking to each other more. She taught me scrabbles! I remember we would play scrabbles together in school during the period where students were allowed to study on their own for the upcoming exams. I loved playing scrabbles with her. She was so intelligent (ahem, still is)! :)

Girl, do you remember that we used to pass notes to each other in between classes too??? *winks*

And when we were both in Form 5. Both of us were the only silly ones who turned up at school (students were allowed to stay home to study for SPM) to study together in one of those empty classrooms. We'd talk and talk and I remember she would bring something to school for us to eat and.. eh, girl did I bring anything to school for us to eat too??? Ya, I remember.. I made potato salad.. and she said she loved potatoes!! Lols. We studied together, supported each other and really, listened to each other. I guess she was the only person that I had dared to be entirely honest with what was going on in my life and etc then. I was always afraid of being judged, not-accepted and she was always reminding how wonderful I was. She didn't know, she was my pillar of support. :)

We walked different paths eventually after we finished SPM. She started working and I studied, only occasionally meeting up with each other. I still remember the very first car she drove - that red Suzuki Swift. Lols. She was a trainer at a gym in Hartamas at the age of 18 you know! And today, she is a darn VP in one of the most prestigious banks in the industry. Am I so very proud of her.. :)

You know, she was the one who gave me advice on how to handle my interviews when I freshly graduated. She was the one who accompanied me to buy my first suit. She was the one who sent me flowers to cheer me up when my heart was broken. She was the one who drove all the way from Ampang to Klang to check on me if I was ok when I was down. She was my matron-of-honour for my wedding. She was the one who repeatedly reminded me, 'Gerry, this is your wedding... you do what you want!' only sharing her ideas with me when I ask of it. I know, she wants me to honour myself and live my life, for me. She also bought me a teddy bear for purpose to accompany me during nights when hubby was not home, worrying I might feel lonely. She still is, one of the friends my family remembers her dearly for ~ my bestie. :) Of course, they also remember her hubby, the 'botak' who always wore red whenever he visited during CNY! Lols!

A friendship is never a bed of roses. We had our quarrels and our time-outs. I guess sometimes we also bitch about each other! Lols! Most of the time, she slams the phone down on me :-s. Told you, she was the fierce one!! Lols! But we always end up where we last stopped, as if that break had never happened before. ;)

Today marks the 18th year. I received a morning SMS from her, and a surprise from her while I was writing this entry...

I was nearly in tears. She is just so thoughtful and sweet. You know, she never fails to send me CNY cards every year too eversince the day she started working! I guess it is one of her ways to tell me that I am always in her mind. :)
I decided to post this photograph because from this angle, I could see the big bear smile back at me. The big bear, would be her :).. She said that she wanted something to always remind me of her. Hrmf, as if I would need a soft toy!! Girl, your face has been deeply imprinted in my mind!! After 18 years and if I still can't remember you, you might as well just kill me!!! ;p

Once again, Happy 18th Year Friendship, Alina Grace!! It has been an honour being your friend, standing by you, listening to you vent, listening to you laugh, listening to your advice, and finally being able to share most of your important moments with you. I am glad that we are still, at this stage, close as ever ~ assured that nothing could ever come between us. Thank you, for enriching my life with your strengths, unique qualities and the many wonderful years of company and friendship. I seriously don't know what I had done to deserve such a beautiful friend like you...

I love you babe.. May you always be well and happy...

2 comments:

  1. Kekekkeeke....I managed to surprise you with the bears!!! Hahahahah....am glad you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the love dedication, should treasure with love...and hi Alina, nice meeting you too! ^^

    ReplyDelete