Tuesday, December 1, 2009

An All the Way Brunch / Friends

I received a text from Ming Yen yesterday, asking for brunch today. She said that she'd head over to KK. I said ok.

She arrived in KK today at nearly 12pm. It was ok for me 'cause I wasn't THAT hungry yet. But she was. Lols. Took her to our all-time-famous Bak-Kut-Teh from Port Klang. She simply enjoyed it. She was dressed poised, ready for work in the afternoon. She was on long leave and today was her last half day leave, so she decided come to KK to brunch with me. So sweet and thoughtful of her huh... When I was chatting with hubby later in the day, I expressed how blessed and abundant I am, to receive such a kind gesture from an old friend. Imagine, she stays in the other end of Earth, traveled all the way to the other end of Earth for brunch with me, and then head off to another corner of Earth to for work after her long leave. I am truly touched and appreciative to be able to fit into her holiday schedule anyhow. Ah... so blessed with abundance of wonderful company. :)

We chatted about her recent trip to Vietnam. She shared with me some gruesome displays which she saw in some musuem.. Eeww.. certainly something that I wouldn't want to witness if I'd ever have a chance to visit Vietnam. She also shared with me how she enjoyed the food there, and her views and concern on the upcoming 2012, spirituality and mirroring. It was great being able to catch up with her and also share my views despite the short time we had with each other. Thanks girl, for making the trip up (or is it down?) to meet me. I had a great time, as always. :)
=====
I knew Ming Yen when we were young swimmers representing our states in competitions. We were rivals. Ahem, healthy rivals, that is. Competitors in the pool but once out of the pool, good friends who laugh with each other and cry on each other's shoulders we part. Wow, almost or more than 20 years now. That's a pretty long time. And eversince she came down to KL to work, and kinda permenantly lives here, we never fail to catch up with each other for each other's birthday or just for a cup of tea. There is just this kind of genuineness and sincerity in the friendship. Somewhat, unconditional too if I may add. :)

Sometimes we tend not to be able to spend loads of time with friends. But when we do, the time spent apart seems to cease, or rather kinda never existed; and the time spent together seems to be in a continuation instead somehow. It's amazing how I am having many experiences with friends these days. Just the other day, before the episod where I witnessed how my concepts of friends and best friends were so faulty, I made a query to my Higher Self, questioning what is this thing called 'Friends', the meaning of it?

And I realised, I wanted a best friend, because I wanted to be special; I wanted to be someone's best friend (eventhough I may not feel the same way as the other person) because I wanted to be special too. All this thing about being special, this sense of belonging, screwed up concepts/rules of friends or best friends or whatever labels have I were absolutely crazy! And you know, to be able to admit today to the rest of the world, and most importantly to myself is a kind of embarrassment, a kind of shame. And, to a certain extent, it hurts too.

Having spend a day with Alina last thursday, her sharing of wisdom made me see something. That, every friend is special. There is no such thing as Best Friend (and here in this context I do mean 'possessing' a Best Friend - note the singular - who would be the BEST of the ALL the friends I have). So since I have SOOOOOO many friends whom I would want to be 'Best Friends' with (or wants to be 'Best Friends' with me), I came up with this subconscious ultimate criteria list of how, if a person were to ever be my 'Best Friend' or the other way round, he or she would have to fit into this list of criteria. Stupid right? Lols. And, shameful too. :(

So, when Alina shared with me that we could have many many best friends because as we progress in our lives, we get greedy, I felt liberated. And I as ponder upon my sense of liberation from the tension and stressful ideas of 'Best Friends', I realised that everyone was my best friend in their own ways, special to me in their each very own unique ways. And then, a word surfaced in the mind - Equanimity - something that BB has shared with me before.

I love all my friends, although I do acknowledge the fact that I hardly put in the kind of effort to visit, pick up the phone to call and etc to show that I do so. But I guess, that's just me. I live with them in my heart, whether or not I see them. When I feel inspired to, we meet up; and it works anyway!

I am thankful for the presence of friends in my life, and I am grateful for the lessons they bring forth through them for me. For without them and these lessons, I would not be able to understand my inner world, and would cease an opportunity to love myself a little more.

Thank you once again my dear friends, I love you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment