Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Wedding Luncheon at Big River (Sungai Besar)


Parts of Sungai Besar

I was briefed that Big River (Sungai Besar) is a fishing village somewhere in Selangor. Our families (meaning my in-laws and us) were invited to attend my MIL's nephew's wedding luncheon at Big River 2 Sundays ago. I never thought much about the trip, except that I would have fun with my in laws heading outstation together. :)

It was only about 2 hours drive along the coastal road. Darling hubby drove while Thea and I sat behind. We were supposed to ride with Jay Lyn and Siang but our guardian angel (the maid) needed a day off so I took Thea along with us, already anticipating how the trip would turn out to have Thea travel with us. Indeed, fun but not too relaxed albeit in a car.

The wedding luncheong was set at 3pm. This is the first time ever being invited to a wedding luncheon at such a time. Usually lunch is at 11am, 12pm or 1pm right? but 3pm!! this was my first time! Lols. We arrived at the groom's house at about 2pm. Talked and ate a little before proceeding to the restaurant.

When I arrived at the restaurant, I wasn't one bit surprised by the outlook of the restaurant. Right here in Klang Valley, restaurant dinners are air-conditioned. But this place was not. The only ventilation were fans and sliding doors. Right outside the restaurant (meaning within the restaurant but outdoors) were like some evening hawker stalls.

The layout of the restaurant


Believe it or not, people are actually punctual!! By 3:15pm, the restaurant was already full, only awaiting the presence of the bride & groom and their families. The luncheon officially started at 3:30pm. Early huh?


First dish served. Very very unique food.


This was everyone's favourite at the table.


Because it was about 3-4pm, weather was extremely hot. So the people at the restaurant actually showered water with hose I think on the roof to cool the indoors of the restaurants.
I know it is an old tactic, but I thought it was brilliant!!
Can you see the water dripping from the roof?

I didn't capture the rest of the dishes served because I didn't think they were anything to shout about.

But dessert, was pretty interesting...

They serve ice-cream in cubes!!! together with tooth-picks!!!
Absolutely yummy!!!

The luncheon ended as punctually as it started - 5:30pm. So we left at about 5:35pm. Traffic back home was horrendous since it was a Sunday and we guessed that people from the village were heading back to the city for work the next day. Hubby told me that most people in the village head out to town/city to look for work for a better future.

Although the drive back was slow, but the scenary along the way was a sight. Neat padi fields along the coastal roads, the kampung houses and the rivers running alongside the houses. It's beautiful. :)

But... I would never do this again... I find it too tiring. In fact, I came home sick with fever on the same day itself. Thank God hubby assured that all his cousins who are from the village are all married... phew! ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment