Saturday, December 19, 2009

If - A self-composed song

If paradise awaits me beneath your arms
If paradise awaits me with all your love
If paradise awaits me with your love beneath your arms
then I'd come running, I promise, to be with you


If the birds would take me then I'd fly to you
If the wind would sing a song then I'm singing it to you
If love is like a movie screen, I know you'd come to me
to be with me, to hold me tight, forever in my dreams


But let's face reality, you're never gonna be with me
To hold me tight, to see me through, all through the years...
***
This was a song I wrote when I was 14 together with a best friend of mine, Aida. We loved to sing. She had a great voice and I remember always wishing at the back of my head, how I wish I had a beautiful voice just like hers, and that I could sing like her. We would always be singing during our tea breaks or lunch breaks. Other times, we'd just be chatting, laughing and talking about boys. Lols. Looking back the lyrics, a little childish; but remembering the tune made me feel a little proud to have composed such lovely tunes even at the age of 14! By the way, I still love to sing. :)

During my trip in HK, I received a text message from Aida saying that she had been thinking of me. Today, we finally had a chance to chat up over the phone. She revealed that for the past week, this song had been singing in her head and it reminded her of me... hence the text message. I was truly touched. We promised to catch up after the New Year when our days are not so hectic due to the season greetings. Lols. It will be another great catch up with a friend I've not bonded for years...

Thanks Aida. Looking forward already. :)

2 comments:

  1. Gerry! You're the best! I could instantaneously sing this lyrics :D Yup! I know already :D our reunion can be at Redbox, over lunch, some songs and good hearty chat :D Have a great day :D


    Aida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... What a splendid idea!! Btw I was ransacking some of my old song books and realised that there was another song that we wrote together!! Will share with you when we meet! :)

    ReplyDelete