Thursday, December 17, 2009

A New 'Friend'

Today is Thea's last holiday class at TT, SP. Took the opportunity to meet up with Florence to pass her Christmas presents for her kids. Last year, we did not meet up with each other and I had to pass the kids' pressies through Terri so I made a mental note that this year, I would pass the gifts to her personally.

Actually, I never thought of Florence and I, as close. We were close in a group though - we used to hang out in a group; but on a personal basis, we don't catch up with each other one on one besides the occasional chats on MSN. When I brought my breakfast tray to the table, she asked me, "eh, why you buy so many drinks one?" (I bought a kopi-o and a glass of hot barley) I blurted, "we are going to be here for a long time right, until 12:30pm? So might as well just buy the drinks first so no need to go buy again in case I get thirsty later on."

This experience with Florence was truly something. We talked alot!! I've never really felt close to her before, but we chatted just about whatever that came to mind. Until it was nearly time to go, she expressed something that really warmed my heart. She explained that she never thought of me as her friend. I was either so-and-so's friend, or another so-and so's friend, or something like that; and never really her friend. I was surprised! This was somewhat a true reflection of my inner state sometimes when I hung out with certain friends - "she is their friend, not mine.." Lols. So, this bonding time we had today, also our first one-on-one session made her feel that we ought to catch up more often! I was truly touched by that statement. I took the opportunity to also express my shame for not taking the previous effort to get to know her better.  Also explained that I kinda dislike to inconvenient myself to catch up with friends. It's just too much trouble, at least for me. However, when I do catch up with friends, it's because I really want to, regardless the conditions. :) Guess what, she shared the same sentiment!  :) We had loads of exchanging information about each other to each other, and also in expressing appreciation for each other's company.

It was very funny when she shared how worried she got when I said that we were going to sit till 12:30pm and that I had bought 2 drinks to fill those hours as, she didn't know if she could hold out a conversation/outing with me for so long!! Lols! I burst out laughing and assured her that even if she couldn't, I would be able to because I talk a lot!! Lols! But we each had our fair share of sharing of yaking and talking. Lols! She's really very nice and comfortable to be with. I totally enjoyed myself!! :)

I guess with her now no longer working (she has recently quit her job to fully take care of her darlings), there would be more opportunities to catch up with her. I realised that I appreciate time spent alone with friends for connecting and bonding purposes rather than in a big group. Of course, a get-together-in-a-group is fun too; but I guess it's different when we are trying to pay attention to someone.

Thank you Flo, for sharing your moments with me today. And, not FFK-ing me today too... ;p I hope you had a great time too. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear,

    Thanks for inititating the appointment in the first place.
    Also, thanks for being in my life and all your sharing too. God bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete