Friday, December 19, 2008

Blast from MY Past: 15 June 2008

PCOS

I was diagnosed with Polycycstic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) lately. Apparently, this means that my body is insulin resistant, i.e. unable to digest carbohydrates and sugar which causes a series of symptoms which they have all named under PCOS.
Symptoms are: -
  1. Absent or infrequent periods
  2. Acne
  3. Infertility
  4. Increased facial and body hair (usually found under chin, on the upper lip, forearms, lower legs and on the abdomen)
  5. Overweight/Obesity
  6. Miscarriage (sometimes recurrent)
These symptoms are related to several internal changes: -
1. Hormonal abnormalities, including
  • raised luteinising hormone (LH) in the early part of the menstrual cycle
  • raised androgens (male hormones usually found in women in tiny amounts)
  • lower amounts of the blood protein that carries all sex hormones (sex-hormone-binding globulin)
  • a small increase in the amount of insulin and cellular resistance to its actions

2. Characteristic changes in the appearance of the ovaries on the ultrasound scan. The ovaries are polycycstic, with many small follicies scattered under the surface of the ovary (usually more than 10 or 15 in each ovary) and almost none in the middle of the ovary. These follicies are all small and immature, generally do not exceed 10mm in size and rarely, if ever, grow to maturity and ovulate.

Risks are higher chances being victims of the following: -

  1. Diabetes
  2. Hypertension
  3. Stroke / Heart Attack
  4. Endometrial Cancer ( cancer of the lining of the womb), particularly if they have infrequent or absent periods.

Things to do for PCOS: -

  • Exercise and maintain weight within normal limits of BMI 19 - 25
  • Change of diet - low fat, low sugar, low carbo, more vegetables, more fruits
  • Medication prescribed by doctor


Don't get me wrong. I am NOT seeking for attention or sympathy, but since I have many good and close friends that care, I just thought that publishing it on my blog would be an easier way for me to notify them instead of repeating myself again and again like a broken recorder over the phone, sms or msn. Not that I like to announce that I am sick also, but I'd think my friends would like to know, just as how I would like to know of any of their updates! Furthermore, in case they do know someone who has the same condition, perhaps they could share a tip or two with me or with them. You see, this is a rarely new diseased diagnosed albeit a very common one amongst women and in a way it does cause suffering. Imagine, suddenly turning mannish and hairy, infertile, weight problems and being labeled medically as "pre-diabete", I tell you... it's really not a nice feeling. And since there is not much support here in Malaysia for PCOS sufferers, I guess I have to do my own research and experiments. Some websites described that it is indeed a serious condition, but what I think is this - when you know about it and can do something about it - it is not so serious... but ignorance of this disease is DEADLY!!
I am lucky that my symptoms are not scary - only that I have infrequent periods, infertile and weight problems especially around my abdomen area (which is the most common part of obesity of PCOS victims). Then you may ask me, if you are infertile, how could you have conceived Thea? Exactly my point when I was trying to digest the diagnosis!! Well, apparently, it only manifested now. I've thought of seeking for a second opinion but hubby believes that the results will be the same and we ought to try to focus on solving the problem instead. Hmm, easy for him to say. He is not the one with the period, fertility or weight problems!


Anyway, I was depressed and down for a while knowing that I could never reverse my situation anymore; but I guess my doctor is right. She said that at least this is a disease that I could still do something about it; unlike cancer. So... I guess I am picking up my life again. On a separate matter, the agent called and told me that our application for the maid has been approved and she should arrive in about 3 weeks. After that, life should be more settled and I should go enroll in some exercise routines where I could bring Thea and the maid together to help myself. Why not now? Hmm... I just don't think it is right to leave Thea with the temp maid. Although I think she is superly good in cleaning but I doubt her capability in taking care of Thea. And not that I think it is ok to leave Thea with the new maid also.. but I'd need a maid who has more common sense and at least a certain amount of maturity and responsibility in handling my precious.


And oh yes... Dear Universe, please bring Thea a sibling...

No comments:

Post a Comment