Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Clearing the Namecard Cluster

I have just done something that I never thought that I would ever get about doing - clearing the namecards in my namecard boxes. I have 2 namecard boxes - 1 large one, and 1 small one. The large one was from my previous office (the bank) and the small one, I bought it years ago when I thought I needed one at home too for convenient sake. Needless to say, they were both FULL as if they were about to throw up any minute! Although many times, I sensed them calling me "hey, come clear me!", I consciously ignored it and refused to do so for the mere fact that the name cards in the namecard boxes were somewhat a benchmark of the whos and whos I knew during my employment days.
^
The reason why I decided to FINALLY clear the old namecards was because I finally decided that I needed to move on (and also to really really clear the old stuffs to usher in the new year!). I really shouldn't be hanging on to who I was before especially since it isn't who I am today. It's funny how I put that.. The other day, when I was looking through some namecards, I realised that I did know a lot of big shots in the industry and in the business world.. all of whom I came in contact with through work, and not through family friends or friends. To me, that was a big deal because people were always going on about how important this so and so is because they know so and so! Well, I don't doubt that networking is important, but I never believed in getting to know someone to get to know another person. Perhaps I am still a little girl inside, not knowing how the real world actually works. And I don't really care by the way, because I don't want to do things that makes me feel uncomfortable.
^
Anyway, back to realising that I did know a lot of "useful" people, hubby commented that if I didn't quit my job, I could have actually gone very far in my career and be a somebody. I smiled at that thought. It's always nice to have someone think of you that way. Secretly, I think so too. But you know, I realised that I don't really want to be a somebody in the industry or the business cycle. I mean, not that I don't want to, it is more like - don't need to. To me, I think it is more meaningful to me to be a somebody in people's lives, in a personal and loving way - like a daughter, a sister, a mother, a wife and especially a friend.
^
And then.. you might be wondering - if being a somebody to a person in a not business related way is important to me; then why keep all those name cards?
^
Honestly, it's all in the EGO. The ego wishes to be reminded that I was a who and who and I was associated with a who and who then and I was this great big person before. The ego finds it hard to let go what it does not own anymore. It's strange.. really strange.. for if the ego keeps dwelling in the past, then how does it enjoy the true presence of the NOW? So, there you go - I cleared them.
^
I threw away not all the cards though - but cards that I didn't need anymore. I still keep some of my ex-business associates' namecards with whom I have become friends with despite the age difference. I also now keep namecards of restaurants, boutiques, clinics, hospitals and etc. So, I managed to dispose the small namecard box and still create space in my large namecard box. Neat huh? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Finally got to it huh. I have never given them a second look. I think I should start throwing them off.

    Happy Christmas, sis.....!

    ReplyDelete