Friday, December 19, 2008

Blast from MY Past: 19 May 2008

Friends

In my life, I believe I have been blessed with many good friends. Sometimes so many of them proclaim me as their "Best Friend" that it would seems as if I was not returning the gesture if I didn't treat them as one. I accumulated many many "Best Friend"s only to find out at the end of the day, they are actually closer to someone else than me. Silly huh? I used to have many many best friends - I could name them, but I guess if I did, they might misunderstand that I am disowning them as my "Best Friend". Hehehe.. it's weird, because at this age, married with kids, we still feel sensitive towards what our friends say about or do to us. I admit that I am still one of them, and I used to be this really ultra sensitive friend that friends had to be careful what they said or did with me. But of couse, they still loved me - at least that is what I'd like to believe. And I did get better... I guess its maturity and also security that I have found in my ultimate best friend - my hubby.

I've noticed that good friends become not so close friends anymore when they lose their common interest, objective or goals. This of course does not mean that they care less of each other. It simply is because their way of handling a certain matter towards a common issue differs from one another and for that, they just don't hang out or chat with each other as often as before. For that, suddenly the "common interest" becomes "uncommon" and we all move on... probably thinking that we are all alone until we meet another friend, could be a new friend, or an old acquaintance and suddenly "BOOM!" you realise that you both think the same, and suddenly begin sharing views, opinions and even secrets that some ex-"Best Friends" dont ever get to find out.

I have recently been in contact with two friends - both of whom I never thought I could hold long conversations or share secrets with. But having hang out with them for a while, I realise that we have lots in common in how we prioritise certain things in our lives - like the things that we'll do and the extent of it, even the way we do it. Our objectives are common and it serves as a kind of support towards each other. Of course, I won't dare say that they are my "Best Friends" but if anything crosses my mind that needs to be shared - I certainly think of them for now. Ahem, no offence to my other friends, that is.

I know that my friends surrounding me will always be there for me as long as I shout for them. And I am happy to know that my friends whom I introduce to each other get along so well that sometimes, they are closer to each other than they are to me.. It did cross my mind that I'd feel jealous, sensitive or "small gas" especially when they acknowlege each other's friendship but not me - the one who introduced them; but surprisingly I am not... I just feel happy that they find comfort in each other, like how I find comfort in them! They will forever remain my close friends because of the kind of friendship that we share.

Hmm.. I think my ramblings sound confusing.. hahaha.. I guess what I am trying to say is that, friends will always be friends - and their level of closeness depends on each stage of their lives and the extent of involvement. I used to believe that girlfriends - the bestest kind should know EVERYTHING about each other. But life and the surrounding tells me that it is not true as we share bits and pieces of our lives to different friends. I cherish my friends - some more than others, of course - but I dare say that I have more friends that I love than those that I merely like.. hahaha..

I think I just have a big heart! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment